How To Bake A Banana Cake
Learn to bake one of the best loved healthy cakes.
We’ve asked local coffee shop owners what are the top five bestselling cakes and always, the classic banana cake would land on the list. Of course we weren’t surprised. Banana cakes are well-loved because they are healthy (as compared with other super sweet cakes), yummy and easy to make. Try this favorite recipe and earn more!
1 1/2 cups shortening
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups mashed bananas
7 cups sifted cake flour
t tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. This recipe makes a very large cake which is excellent for freezing. It may be divided into 4o-5o portions, wrapped tightly and kept for up to 4 months in the freezer. Packed into lunch boxes in the morning while still frozen, it will be just right by noontime! The cake may be lightly frosted before freezing, if desired, but if you do, place a square of wax paper over the frosting before wrapping.
2. Preheat oven to 325°F.
3. Butter and dust with flour (tapping out excess) 1 large sheet cake pan – 16 1/2 x 24 1/2 a 1″.
4. Cream together shortening, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the mashed bananas and continue beating while adding the dry and wet ingredients alternately, as follows:
5. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly stir 1/3 of this into the shortening mixture; add half of the buttermilk; add another 1/3 flour mixture, the remaining buttermilk, finish with the remaining flour mixture. Beat only until mixed, some streaks may remain. Stir in nuts, if using.
6. Spread batter evenly onto prepared sheet pan, spreading with a spatula into corners. If desired, pan may be neatly lined with parchment paper for easy removal, but a well buttered and floured pan is sufficient.
7. Bake at 325°F for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then run a butter knife along edges of pan. Frost, if desired, with vanilla, banana or cream cheese frosting. Extra chopped nuts may be sprinkled over frosting.
9. Let cool for 20 minutes before slicing into individual serving pieces.
10. When completely cool, wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Pack into a rectangular plastic air-tight freezer container or in a large zipper freezer bag for storage in freezer until use.
Note about Frosting: Do not use egg white based frostings for the freezer. After frosting, place cake in freezer, uncovered, just until the frosting has hardened before wrapping. Wrap, then stack the individual servings in a box or bag in the freezer.
Yield: 40-50 servings depending on portion sizes.